Saturday, May 17, 2014

The Eternity Cure

My heart felt like it was torn apart. How was it possible when I hadn’t finished such a miraculously beautiful book? Did I predict the ending? A rueful smile crossed my face. It should be impossible, but I was afraid.
***
I don't believe that there's a fate, but everything happens for a reason. Perhaps, I met a person who would change my life forever, though it was such a cliche. Perhaps, I read a book which would shape my perspective. Allison fully understood that the only way to survive in the Fringe was to care about only herself. She couldn't afford to feed anyone. However, Zeke, a guy who genuinely concerned about the welfare of the others, shaped her perspective. Initially, I thought that it was a lame story. Zeke just happened to change Allie's life since he was the main character. I thought that Zeke had a weak personality. Honestly, I didn't adore Zeke's character. He was too naive, too idealistic to survive in the 
post-apocalypse. The truth was that nobody was willing to jeopardize his or her existence for the sake of the others. In this world, survival instincts bolstered people to live. Otherwise, people were dead. Similar to Allison, it was a shock to me that there were other ways of living. Human loyalty, in the eyes of vampires, was ugly and naive. Therefore, I didn't believe in Zeke initially. He was too good to be realistic. Allison's narrative was believable since people served themselves in the post-apocalypse. They couldn't afford to worry about the others while they couldn't even ensure their own survival.
However, in The Eternity Cure, I saw another side of Zeke. He had become stronger and more capable. He returned for Allie's sake. No longer the boy who seemed vulnerable, he became a leader. He was a natural leader who led the refugees. Courageous and selfless, he considered the welfare of his fellows. Zeke had become a hunter. A brave hunter. Though Zeke abhorred vampires, he was still here because of Allie. He left Eden and traveled across the country to bring Allie home. My heart pounded at the thought.

I remembered that when Zeke and Allie reunited, the indifference and tension threw me off balance. My heart drummed so hard it ached. I loathed the silent treatment. However, as the story progressed, they gradually reached a common goal. I felt ecstatic when they reconciled and admitted their love for each other. When Ms. Kagawa threw a horrific bomb at the ending, the world seemed to pause in its tilt. My heartbeat seemed too loud to bear. It was so unexpected that my tears pricked at my eyelids, yet they didn't drop. I was too busy flipping through the pages because I didn't and couldn't believe that my brain processed the words correctly. Well, my brain did. 
Never had I felt that reading was the best decision I had made in my life. It was a wonderful journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment