Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Friendship (Week 3)

Perhaps my blog was inspired by the "Friendship in an Age of Economics" article or by the dinner party with my local-school friends (I couldn't deny it) or by my hangout with my old friends, I felt like expressing my feelings. I read Aristotle's opinions about friendship one year ago in CTY. We had a debate-like discussion. I do agree with Aristotle's opinions that there are three types of friendships-- one of pleasure, one of utility, and one of virtue. Perfect friendship is supposed to last perpetually. However, I haven't witnessed a true friendship in which friends are willing to sacrifice for each other's sake. In addition, in order to love a friend, we must learn to love ourselves in the first place. If we don't love ourselves, the friendship is likely to turn into friendship of pleasure or that of utility. I think Aristotle is quite myopic when he limits true friendship among the virtuous men. Virtue is hard to define. A person may reform oneself or enlighten oneself through mistakes and hardships. Friendship isn't circumscribed by virtue. It is built on trust, empathy, understanding, and altruism. It doesn't matter whether people are virtuous or not. What matters the most is that friendship provides us supports, enlightenment, and a harbor. I can't be convinced that I will have a friendship as perfect as Aristotle's definition, yet I'm absolutely sure that I have friends who will listen to me vent and spend their time comforting me.

No comments:

Post a Comment